One of the clearest regional differences in the U.S. can found by tracking the words people use to refer to soft drinks, which is in fact the map you saw at the top of this story. Pop or soda, or even Coke, these small linguistic differences are not as small as we might think. While “soda” commands the Northeast and West Coast (green) and “pop” is in between (black), “Coke” reigns in the south (turquoise). These small distinctions can often act as touchstones for larger cultural differences.
Read more. [Image: Samuel Arbesman]
Wait…some Americans don’t call it soda?…
Nope. I live in New York and whenever I go to Ohio to visit my Grandma, I hear it called pop. It’s hilarious to me. Even sometimes my dad (who’s also from Ohio, that’s his mom I mentioned) will drop back into his roots and say pop.
Lol. Because it’s called ‘Pop’
Lol. Because some people are too dumb to understand that the product is made from SODA water and syrup. Therefore, it is SODA, or Soda Pop at the most. Calling it “pop” is just retarded. That is all.
Alex, you can go away from Tumblr for weeks at a time and then chime in with hate on my speech. -_-
I never left; people just don’t pay attention to me. Also, you know this is one of my pet peeves.
- prettydopeshayy likes this
- confidentiallyconfusing likes this
- thevictoriousone reblogged this from localwest and added:
- scaremoonturkey likes this
- localwest reblogged this from thevictoriousone and added:
- peachie92 reblogged this from solongasitswords
- concertoforcastiel likes this
- unapologetically-abrasive likes this
- fitzytravels reblogged this from npr and added:
- acrobatcompany reblogged this from theatlantic
- acrobatcompany likes this
- nebulousegad reblogged this from theatlantic
- nebulousegad likes this
- bootygerman reblogged this from theatlantic
- upbeatmiss reblogged this from theatlantic
- upbeatmiss likes this
- greedyheating reblogged this from theatlantic
- greedyheating likes this
- bootsneigh reblogged this from theatlantic
- bootsneigh likes this
- hairyscared reblogged this from theatlantic
- hairyscared likes this
- theatlantic posted this